Thursday, February 21, 2008

Just Taking a Break

I am in the middle of pinning a large quilt. It has to be positioned and secured 6 times. I just finished pinning the third positioning. Actually, I don't think this is a break. I will stop for the night.

There are so many different kinds of quilting to be done.
  • Serious quilting. That is what I do to continue growing as a quilter. These quilts improve new skills (like machine applique) and help me hone old skills (like machine quilting or quilt design). How Do I Quilt Thee is serious quilting.
  • Inspired quilting. This is quilting that I didn't plan to do, but suddenly I am in the midst of it. Acorns was inspired quilting. It is not a bad thing to do. It is sort of like serious quilting, but with a more devil-may-care, playful approach. There is less pressure.
  • Special occasion quilting. Baby quilts, wedding quilts, graduation quilts, and so forth.
  • I-want-to-make-that quilting. I see a pattern that I really like and I just want to make it. Miss Rosie's trunk show in January is a prime example of just wanting to make someone else's pattern. I wonder...do the big name quilters like Diane Gaudynski, Sue Nickels, and others long to make these quilts too?
  • I-meant-to-say-no quilting. But I said yes.
  • Original designs that would be suitable for a book. These need to be easier than the "serious" quilts.
  • I-want-to-do-something-with-that-fabric quilting. Suddenly I have another top to quilt.
What is a girl to do?

No comments: