Sunday, June 22, 2008

Marula Designs

Marula Designs is a line of quilt patterns designed for Marula Imports. The patterns feature an African cotton called Shweshwe. Marula Imports is owned by my friend, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth and I work together. She was planning a trip home to visit family in South Africa and knew I was a quilter. She asked me if there was some kind of fabric she could bring back for me. (Have you ever known a quilter to answer "No" to such a question?) A long time ago I had purchased an African fabric from a vendor at a quilt show and had used it to make a quilt. All that remained were a few scraps. I showed them to Elizabeth.

She returned from her trip with ten different prints. We were both excited about the prints, but Elizabeth was also excited and impressed by the Da Gama company that makes Shweshwe. 45% of the company is owned by its workers and it supports many worthwhile community projects. Marula Imports was born, the website was created, and Elizabeth made plans to vend at quilt shows.

I made plans to provide Elizabeth with samples for her booth. At the first show there were requests for patterns. Marula Designs came into being.

No comments: