Sunday, June 22, 2008

Southern Cross

Elizabeth was in the process of finalizing her U.S. citizenship. I have always lived in the U.S and always will. I am happy here and this is my home. I wondered how I would feel if circumstances caused me to leave a country, home, and family that I love to permanently move to another land. I think there would always be a place in my heart for the first country.

I wanted to make a quilt using the indigo and red Shweshwe to celebrate Elizabeth becoming a U.S. citizen. It would be a patriotic sort of quilt, but I also wanted to tie it to South Africa. Elizabeth had told me about the Southern Cross constellation which is only visible from the southern hemisphere. I decided to incorporate it into the quilt.

The Southern Cross has 5 stars in it. When viewed, 4 stars are approximately the same size and the 5th one appears smaller. At first I was thinking in terms of pieced star blocks arranged in some manner in the center of the quilt surrounded by a pieced border. I couldn't quite get a handle on it. Then I decided to applique the 5 stars. That was the breakthrough.
  1. The center appliqued block would have red stars against an indigo background. It would be 12" finished with a red 1" inner border.
  2. The outer border would be pieced from 7" indigo and red log cabin blocks arranged in a star formation. The strips in the log cabin block would be 1" finished.
  3. The corner log cabin blocks would contain all indigos.

No comments: