Friday, February 25, 2011

UFOs...Or a Study of Feathers



I made 7 small wall hangings to use up leftover blocks. (The one shown above is the second one.)  While marking the quilting designs on the first one, I decided to try quilting feathers in the border with only the spine marked. The reason - I love feathers; I hate marking them. My expectations were not very high for the first attempt, but - get ready - it didn't turn out bad at all. On to the next one. I expected it to be better than the first attempt, but that was not the case. Somehow the feathers got too long and the angles were not right. They started looking like fat little fingers or maybe sausages. Back to the drawing board.
With the third one, I started marking the first couple feathers on the spine. It helped me visualize the shape. There were still a few sausages, but it was much better.
I'm working on number four right now. If I was thinking that I had UFOs to finish, I wouldn't be excited. So instead I'm Monet doing a study of feathers.

No comments: