Monday, February 28, 2011

A Few of My Favorite Things

This star block is possibly by favorite block if not my most favorite block.  It is easy to piece, especially when it is floating like this.  Once I start making them, I can't stop.  And that is why I had extra blocks from another project.  I love the block on point and not on point.  I like it scrappy and not scrappy. 

I love the fabrics in this one, but found it hard to mark the quilting design on the corner triangles.  I like to use the Clover white marking pen - the one where the marks come out with steam.  Instead I had to mark with a quilting pencil so this quilt was washed after it was bound.


At this point I have to mention that I experience terror when I mark with pencil because...what if it doesn't come out...ever? 

This next one was marked entirely with the white Clover pen.  There was no terror.  It hasn't been washed yet, but I think I might wash it anyway because I like how the other one looks with its crinkles.  Both quilts have Quilters' Dream Request cotton batting which is one of my two favorite battings.  (The other is Hobbs wool.)


If you look closely at both of these, you might be able to see the feathers which were quilted in a lovely gold Aurifil 50/2 cotton thread (#2975).  Aurifil 50/2 cotton thread is one of my favorite threads.  The gold is very nice for quilts with rich, strong colors.  (My other favorite thread is YLI 100 weight silk.)


I have one more of these 17" x 17" tops in progress.  I am chomping at the bit to work on it right now.  The End.

No comments: