Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Disappearing zigzag


No stone will be left unturned!  I decided to try another version of the same design shown in the previous blog entry (Diagonal Zigzag - the multi-pastel quilt with the blue border).  For this new version I made all the 8" blocks the same.  The zigzag disappeared and the result was more of a basket weave. 

This is one block.

I thought this might appeal to a brand new quilter who wanted to focus on piecing and not worry about how to arrange blocks that are scrappier.  I found all but the blue fabric in my stash.  I selected the border print first.  It is from a great old Laurel Burch line called Jungle Songs.   Next I found four fabrics to go with it.  I cut enough 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" strips of each color to lay out several blocks.  I played with them for awhile to decide where each color would be placed in the block.  In the end, I liked that two warm colors went in the one direction and two cooler colors went in the other direction.  I also liked that there were floral, geometric, dotted and marbled prints in the mix.

Some baby will be happy to own this quilt.

No comments: