Saturday, March 26, 2011

Quilting Freedom

In recent years, each president of our guild has chosen a theme for the year.  Last June President Georgia announced her theme - Quilting Freedom.  The freedom to be whatever kind of quilter you wanted to be.  I immediately embraced the theme and granted myself the freedom to do whatever project I wanted to do.

I love making baby quilts.  They provide immediate gratification because they are such quick projects.  At least the ones I make are quick.  I can't speak for you.

About 10 years ago, I started collecting fabric that would be good for baby quilts - pastels, brights, you name it.  Then I heard that babies are entertained by the contrast between black and white so I started collecting good black on white and white on black prints.  When I reorganized my fabric a year or so ago, I realized just how much good stuff I had.  I set about to use some of it.

Last July and August I made 14 baby quilts.  Some were designated for my soon-to-be grandson.  The rest were Linus Quilts.  I made 4 in this design.  It is great for using up odds and ends.  The smaller squares are 2" finished and the bigger blue squares are 4" finished.  The finished size of the quilt is 36" square.

This is another design I like to use.  The star blocks are 8" square and the finished size of the quilt is 38" square.  Sometimes I make it with 9" blocks and then the finished size is 41" square.  

I cut the pieces for the star blocks and put enough pieces for nine stars in small boxes to be used for quilting days away from home.  When I started making this type of quilt, I also started collecting good border prints with black backgrounds.

This is one of the quilts I made for my grandson.  The background print for this quilt is the loveliest, softest yellow with blue and green.  A really good fabric.  I bought it en route to Colorado for Harriet Hargrave's first ever Machine Quilting Celebration in 2004 or so.  I knew I would need it some day.  And I did.  I always know best.  Just ask me. 

I cannot resist adding this next picture.  This is my grandson laying on his black and white star quilt.  He makes me smile.

Last fall I made a few more baby quilts like the ones above.  Then a couple weeks ago I started thinking about another design.  I gave myself the freedom to try it out.  I love it!  It isn't quilted in this picture, but it has been quilted since.  Can you believe there are only five different blue prints in this?  And one really good background print that was hiding in my stash closet.  This is 34" x 46".

Then I couldn't stop.  I had to try other variations and I used thirties fabrics for the first time ever.  How sweet is this?  Pretty sweet.

I am quilting another zig zag quilt today. 

It is all good.

No comments: